Creating Rights explores bridges between art and human rights. We believe that art has the potential to open up a space for communication and create an opportunity for reflection and understanding on human rights and international justice. As a powerful form of expression, art contributes to the understanding and the application of human rights. Since its inception, the human rights movement has evolved and paved the way towards a comprehensive body of human rights law, conventions and treaties. However, the human rights framework is also the outcome of the determination and hard work of artists, activists, and other creative individuals across different countries. As such, they have a crucial role in our societies in contributing to the ongoing discussion on human rights.
Creating Rights’ mission is to create a platform giving visibility and opening a space for artists and human rights activists to bring forth their ideas, projects and reflections in the fields of international justice and human rights. We work with lawyers, artists, historians, curators, social scientists and activists. The interdisciplinarity of Creating Rights’ work allows for such issues to be exposed and explored outside the traditional and professional frameworks they are developed in. This opens up a dialogue beyond national and thematic borders and deepens actions in these domains.
What we do
Consulting and training activities are undertaken by the Director of Creating Rights, Fiana Gantheret, a Freelance Consultant with over ten years international legal experience in national and international organizations. Our diverse team at Creating Rights also works to support the activities of the organization. Consultants and experts bring in their expertise on specific projects.
– Creating Rights offers a platform to share information and ideas on projects in the following fields and their interaction with art: Human Rights, International Justice, Transitional Justice, and Humanitarian and conflict-related issues.
– Creating Rights connects individuals and seeks to expand the realm of collaboration between practitioners, activists and scholars, in both art and international law.
– Creating Rights performs consulting services with the view of contributing to the ongoing discussion on art and human rights.
– Creating Rights conducts research and prepares reports and studies on existing policies and practices in national, regional and international settings on the use of art in the human rights and transitional justice fields.
– Creating Rights conducts media, marketing and outreach analysis of human rights campaigns using art as a promoting tool.
– Creating Rights organises and delivers trainings on diverse subjects within the areas of specialty of our organization, including but not limited to: Protection of artistic freedom, awareness towards human rights through art, outreach strategies of international or hybrid courts and tribunals, understanding of international legal instruments and institutions related to cultural heritage, use of art when dealing with transitional justice issues.
– Creating Rights intervenes in conferences and workshops and offers networking opportunities in The Hague, The Netherlands, the city of international peace and justice.
For more information, contact us directly!